Understanding Social Security Disability Laws and How to Fight for Your Disability Benefits
According to the United States Social Security Administration website, applications for Social Security Disability (SSD) benefits have been on the rise since 1993. This trend means that many claims for benefits, although valid, may be denied.
If you are having trouble recovering your Social Security Disability benefits and you reside in the Tampa Bay Florida area, we can help you. Request a free consultation with our Florida Social Security Disability attorneys today. A Florida SSD lawyer with our firm can help recover the money you deserve.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Florida Social Security Disability Attorneys
Social Security Disability Overview
Social Security’s disability programs are very different from other types of disability claims. Unlike private long term disability insurance or disability pensions, the Social Security Administration (SSA) has a well-defined procedure for obtaining benefits. Its rules and regulations can be complex, and the process can often take over two years to obtain benefits if you have to go to a hearing before a judge. Eligibility is also another factor that differs from other types of disability claims.
Eligibility for Social Security Disability Benefits
Filing for disability in Florida can be a simple process. However, you will want to determine if you are eligible for Social Security Disability benefits before you begin the application process. To be eligible for SSD benefits, you must:
- Have paid into Social Security through employment for a certain amount of time; and
- Have a medical condition that meets Social Security’s definition of disability.
Are you uncertain of whether you are eligible for Social Security Disability benefits? Contact our office to speak with our Florida Social Security Disability attorneys.
Social Security Disability Benefit Programs and How to Seek SSDI Program Benefits
You can seek disability benefits from the SSA through two programs, including:
- Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI). The SSDI program is a program for individuals who have paid into the Social Security system for half of the last 10 years. If you qualify for SSDI benefits, your children will also qualify for a benefit.
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI). Through limited income and resources, the SSI program provides financial assistance to older individuals and persons with disabilities. SSI is an indigency program, and you must demonstrate that you meet certain financial requirements to qualify.
Do You Need a Lawyer for Social Security Disability?
Individuals seeking Social Security Disability benefits can choose to file on their own or seek legal representation. You are not required to hire an attorney. Statistics show that hiring an attorney improves your chances of winning your claim. According to the Social Security Administration, you have a right to representation, and individuals that hire an attorney win more SSDI and SSI cases than those who do not hire an attorney.
How Our Florida Disability Attorneys Help Social Security Disability Claimants
At Tucker Law Group, our attorneys have helped hundreds of SSD claimants in the Tampa Bay, Florida area fight for their benefits. If you are seeking disability benefits under the SSDI program in this area, we want to help you as well. Our legal team has decades of experience helping claimants with:
- Representation in your SSD hearing. During your SSD hearing, our attorneys will advocate for you in front of the administrative law judge (ALJ). There is no guarantee that your benefits will be awarded during this hearing.
- Appealing a claim denial. It is not unlikely for the SSA to deny claims. If your SSD claim was denied, do not give up. Your attorney can guide you through the appeals process and help you maintain your deadlines. You must ask for an Appeals Council (AC) review within 60-days of receiving your hearing decision.
Contact Our Florida Social Security Disability Attorneys
The legal team at Tucker Law Group has helped thousands of clients in Tampa Bay, Florida obtain Social Security Disability benefits. We can usually do this while also handling other types of disability cases such as disability insurance claims and VA disability appeals.
If you need help seeking your SSD benefits, contact us today for a free consultation. We serve St. Petersburg, Pinellas County, Hillsborough County and the surrounding areas. An experienced Florida SSD lawyer with our firm can meet with you by appointment at our St. Petersburg office or through video conference.