5235 16th Street North, St. Petersburg, FL 33703
CALL TODAY FOR A FREE CONSULTATION 866-282-5260 727-564-9050 CALL TODAY FOR A FREE CONSULTATION 866-282-5260 727-564-9050

VA Disability: What Is a VA C File & Why Is It So Important To My Claim?

Watch this video as VA Disability Attorney John V. Tucker describes the importance of a VA Claim File (the C-file) in a veteran’s service-connected disability benefit claim.

If you have a claim for service-connected compensation, then you need to know why your C-file is so important.

Your C- file contains all of the documents that the Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA) has on your claim for any of your service-connected disabilities. All of your records for any claim are located within your C-file. It is essentially all of the evidence that VA has about you and your disability claims. It will not automatically include your health records. If you have been treated at a VA health center, you will need to obtain those records and have them sent to the VBA to have them added into your C File. If you do have records, you need to make sure that you get them added to your C-file. Without those records, I cannot even give you a legal opinion….why?  Because the C-file is the evidence the VA is considering in your VA disability claims.

This is the most important thing about your C-file.  It contains your evidence.

If your claim for VA service connected disability benefits is denied, to keep your claim moving along,  you should get the C file yourself. If you visit the VA website and search FOIA or Freedom of Information Act requests, you can learn how to request a copy of your C file.

You can always go to your local Regional Office in person and ask for your C-file, but make sure you file your request in writing so that you may prove the date of your request. It can take anywhere from 6 to 12 months to receive your C-file, but it makes things move a lot faster to have in hand when you speak to an attorney. Watch the video to learn more. Some helpful links are below:

To get your VA C-File: https://www.oprm.va.gov/foia

To get your VA medical records – MyHealth eVet: https://www.myhealth.va.gov/mhv-portal-web/anonymous.portal

To get your military service records – National Personnel Record Ctr: https://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/index.html

You may have questions about your VA disability claim, and if you do, call one of our experienced VA attorneys at (866) 282-5260.  We represent veterans all over the United States.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Contact Form

We will respond to your inquiry in a timely fashion. Thank you.

Quick Contact Form