What Are My Disability Options?
You have worked hard all of your life. Now, you are disabled and can no longer do your job. You may be concerned about paying your bills and providing for your family. Help is available. In fact, you have several disability options, depending on your unique situation. Talk to your Florida disability claims lawyer about the claims, denials and appeals process for each one.
These are some of your disability options:
- Group disability insurance. Group disability policies are usually available from employers and are typically covered by the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974 (ERISA). Under ERISA, the insured presents the disability claim to the disability plan’s administrator along with evidence of disability.
- Individual disability insurance. These insurance policies are purchased and directly paid by the insured. In most cases, individual disability benefits are not taxable.
- Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI). SSDI benefits are paid by the federal government, providing you have paid taxes into the Social Security Trust Fund. SSDI is only available to those with a long-term total disability.
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI). Another program form the federal government, SSI offers benefits to those who have not paid enough in taxes to qualify for SSDI.
- Veterans Disability. If you have been injured during military service, you may be entitled to Veterans Disability benefits.
The requirements for each of these programs and plans vary drastically — in some cases, you must be completely disabled to receive compensation, while under another plan you might be entitled to benefits if you are partially disabled. In any event, the government or insurance company may deny your claim. This is a common occurrence. In some cases, a simple appeal can get you proper benefits. However, litigation may be necessary to get the benefits to which you are entitled. If you have been denied benefits or are thinking about applying for disability benefits, speak with a Tampa Social Security Disability lawyer first.
At John V. Tucker, our law firm is devoted to obtaining benefits for the sick and disabled. We fight on your behalf to get the compensation you deserve.