What Conditions Qualify for Disability Insurance Benefits? Our Long Term Disability Attorneys Explain.
There are many who think that long term disability insurance benefits are for individuals who are unable to work due to a physical injury. This is true. However, there are many more long term disability qualifying conditions.
Tucker Law Group attorneys have decades of experience helping clients secure short and long term disability insurance benefits. Because of this experience, we know first hand what conditions qualify for disability. What conditions qualify for long term disability benefits? We discuss qualifying conditions and more below.
Short and Long Term Disability Qualifying Conditions
When it comes to understanding which injuries and illnesses qualify for short or long term disability benefits, it is important to look to your insurance policy for guidance. Your long term disability qualifying conditions will vary according to the terms and limitations within this policy. Below are two types of disability insurance policies.
- Individual Disability Insurance Policies. Disability insurance purchased on your own, outside of an employer or group, qualifies as an individual policy.
- Group Disability Insurance Policies. Group disability insurance policies include those offered through most employers or groups such as a union. These policies are subject to a federal law called the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA).
Whether you have an individual or group policy, each plan is unique. We recommend working with a long term disability attorney to help you understand if your specific condition is one of the conditions that qualify for disability insurance benefits.
What Medical Conditions Qualify for Long Term Disability Benefits?
Private disability insurance companies typically defer to the Social Security Administration’s (SSA) standards and definitions regarding disabling conditions. The SSA categorizes disabling injuries and illnesses. The highlighted list of disability conditions is below.
- Cardiovascular Disabilities
- Digestive System Disabilities
- Endocrine Disabilities
- Genitourinary Impairments
- Hematological Disorders
- Immune System Disorders
- Malignant Neoplastic Diseases (Cancer)
- Neurological and Sensory Problems
- Musculoskeletal System Disabilities
- Multiple Body System Impairment
- Respiratory System Disabilities
- Neurological conditions
- Skin Disorders
- Sensory and Speech Disorders
So, within these categories, what medical conditions qualify for long term disability benefits? The medical conditions that may qualify include, but are not limited to:
- Back Disorders
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Cerebral Atrophy
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Chronic Pain
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Crohn’s Disease and Colitis
- Depression / Anxiety
- Epilepsy / Other Seizure Disorders
- Epstein-Barr Virus
- Eye Disorders
- Head Injuries / Brain Damage
- Headaches / Migraines
- Hearing Impairment
- Heart Disease / Cardiac Issues
- Hepatitis C
- Herniated Disc Disabilities
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Kidney Disease
- Knee Disorders
- Lyme Disease
- Macular Degeneration
- Meniere’s Disease
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Neck Pain / Cervical Disorders
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Peripheral Neuropathy
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- RSD/Complex Regional Pain Syndrome
- Seizures (non-epileptic)
- Shoulder Disorders
- Sleep Disorders
- Speech Disorders
- Substance Abuse Disorder
- Vestibular Dysfunction
Many other conditions qualify for short and long term disability insurance benefits. If you do not see your illness or injury listed above as a qualifying condition, speak with a disability attorney at our firm to learn more about your options.
How We Can Help With Your Disability Insurance Claim
Tucker Law Group offers comprehensive legal services nationwide for individuals seeking disability insurance benefits. We provide help with disability insurance claims at every stage of the process, including:
- Free initial consultation
- Preparing your claim
- Filing the initial claim application
- Monitoring your disability claim
No matter what stage of the process you are currently at, you will want a seasoned disability insurance attorney to see your claim through to the end. We cover long-term disability and short-term disability claims, whether you have an individual or group disability insurance policy.
Call Our Disability Insurance Attorneys for a Free Consultation
Are you unsure of what medical conditions qualify for long term disability benefits? Let us help you determine if you have one or multiple long term disability qualifying conditions. We are here to help you fight for the disability insurance benefits you need. Contact our team to request a free legal consultation. You can reach us by telephone anywhere in the U.S. toll-free at (866) 233-5044 or by submitting a contact form.