Our Connecticut Disability Lawyers Are Here to Help With Your Case
Did you know that over 21 percent of adults in Connecticut are struggling with some form of disability? While a small percentage of these people were born disabled, many of them became disabled after an accident or illness. If this describes you, then you deserve to recover compensation to cover any lost income or medical expenses. Unfortunately, the process for recovering disability benefits may not be straightforward. Thus, you may need the help of the Connecticut disability lawyers at our nationally recognized law firm.
How We Help
Disability Insurance Claims
Group Disability Insurance and ERISA Claims
Before we can assist you with your claim, it is important to know what kind of disability insurance you have. For example, your group disability insurance may be provided to you by your employer. Also, you may pay for coverage under an employee’s group disability plan. If either is the case, then your plan is governed by the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA). Additionally, you should know that ERISA impacts both long term and short term disability claims. Therefore, you should contact a long term disability attorney in Connecticut before making any decisions about your claim.
Individual Disability Insurance in Connecticut
While group disability insurance is governed by ERISA, individual disability insurance has its own set of rules. It is governed by contract laws and insurance policy in Connecticut.
Although having this information is important, you should always consult with a Connecticut disability lawyer before filing an individual disability insurance claim. An attorney can ensure that you are eligible to file such a claim and that you are doing so properly. Also, if an insurance company denies your claim for disability benefits, then we can offer you advice on appealing the decision.
Further, if you have any questions about the disability insurance laws in your state, then do not hesitate to call. Our Connecticut disability lawyers will be happy to speak with you and discuss the particulars of your case.
What Is the Process for Filing a Disability Insurance Claim?
If you are reading this page, then you likely know that the disability insurance process can be difficult to navigate. Fortunately, you can seek advice and guidance from our nationally recognized law firm. For example, here are the steps involved in the process for recovering disability benefits in Connecticut.
- Filing an initial claim. To begin filing a disability insurance claim, you must begin by filling out the claimant forms. However, it is important to remember that there are major differences between filing for group or individual disability benefits. A Connecticut disability lawyer at Tucker Law Group can inform you of those differences.
- Insurance company investigation. After filing, the insurance company will launch an investigation into your claim. Claim forms, medical records and other supporting evidence will be examined by an insurance adjustor during this phase of the process.
- Appealing the decision. While you may desperately need disability benefits, an insurance company could decide to deny your claim. If this happens to you, then you should consider filing an appeal. However, the process for filing an appeal is different depending on whether you have group or individual disability insurance coverage.
- Filing a lawsuit. Unfortunately, you may run into a situation where your appeal is denied. If this is the case, then you may have the option of filing a lawsuit against the insurance company. Luckily, our Connecticut disability lawyers are ready and willing to offer you legal counsel during this stressful time.
VA Disability in Connecticut
In Connecticut, if you are an injured veteran and unable to work, then you may be eligible to receive VA disability benefits. However, the process for recovering VA disability benefits is often lengthy. Also, the amount of time that you go without benefits could be prolonged if you receive a VA disability compensation claim denial. Thus, you should consult with a VA disability attorney in Connecticut as soon as possible after receiving a claim denial. He or she can offer you guidance and point you towards resources that can help with your appeal.
How to Win VA Disability Benefits in Connecticut
When filing a VA disability compensation claim, you must meet several standards in order to receive disability benefits. According to the VA, you must have:
- Received a disability rating of a service-connected condition
- Served in active or inactive duty training
- Became injured or ill while serving or made an existing injury worse
After the VA determines that these standards are met, you can file a claim through several channels. The majority of people file online. However, you can also file through the mail or in-person at a regional office.
Appealing a VA Disability Compensation Claim Denial in Connecticut
After filing a VA disability compensation claim, you may receive a denial of benefits. If this happens to you, then you have every right to file an appeal. However, before doing so, we recommend that you contact the Connecticut disability lawyers at our nationally recognized law firm. We will notify you of the forms that must be filed depending on the date of your denial. For example, if your claim was decided before February 19, 2019, then you must send a Notice of Disagreement to the VA within a year of the rating decision date. Yet, if your claim was decided after this date, then you have several options when filing an appeal.
- Higher level review
- Supplemental claim
- Notice of Disagreement
If you are looking for a law firm that is dedicated to helping veterans recover disability compensation after a claim denial, then you have come to the right place. We request that you take advantage of our free consultation to discuss your appeal. Also, we vow to act in your best interests and evaluate your information as carefully as possible.
Cities We Serve
- New Haven
- New Britain
- And More
Contact Our Connecticut Disability Lawyers
Do you need help pushing back against the insurance company or government after filing for disability benefits? If so, then the Connecticut disability lawyers at Tucker Law Group offer a free consultation to discuss your case. For more information, contact us today at (866) 233-5044 or fill out our confidential contact form.